Saturday, March 31, 2012

C-INTERCAL

Following on from the amazing success and uptake of the esoteric language interpreter suite (a bandwidth busting  total of 49 downloads!), I've commenced searching  for other languages ripe for my unwelcome code attentions. And after reading this prolix and circular prose, C-INTERCAL is indeed worthy of consideration.

"The last part of a statement is an optional ONCE or AGAINONCE specifies that the statement is self-abstaining or self-reinstating (this will be explained below); AGAIN specifies that the statement should behave like it has already self-reinstated or self-abstained. Whether the behaviour is self-abstention or self-reinstatement depends on whether the statement was initially abstained or not; a ONCE on an initially reinstated statement or AGAIN on an initially abstained statement indicates a self-abstention, and a ONCE on an initially abstained statement or AGAIN on an initially reinstated statement indicates a self-reinstatement."

Excerpted from: http://www.catb.org/~esr/intercal/ick.htm#Syntax

2 comments:

Sam Stephens said...

Are you going to provide the Princeton or the Atari syntax? I like the idea of Princeton, make it even more obscure by requiring the use of characters that aren't on the keyboard.

I enjoyed DO GIVE UP as the final statement in a program.

Tony Beveridge said...

I had a similar issue with FALSE; the 'pick' operator isn't easy to deal with, so I did an 'Atari' on that. So I would suggest that my aversion to awkward characters is now an established pattern!

DO GIVE UP should be a motto of some of the IT projects I have worked on :-)