Monday, September 21, 2020

Badass Bass II Bridge

I've got a well set up Fender Jazz Bass (US); nice low action, totally true neck - in short, a veritable slap and pop monster. But I always thought the stock Fender bridges were a bit cheap and flimsy looking, and not fit for the high quality instruments that we know Fenders are.

So I recently had a Badass Bass II bridge fitted, by Weta Guitars. And what did I expect? Many pundits suggest longer sustain, "efficient sound coupling" (whatever that is supposed to be) and improved balance. It's a drop in replacement, so I suppose you could fit one yourself, but I didn't want to take the risk.

About a year in, I must admit I'm not noticing a huge difference. You feel the additional heft at the bridge end of the bass of course, but only for a bit as you acclimatise. Where it does work for me is appearance - it just looks the part. Perhaps this is a case of form over function.



 

No comments: